Getting Started with DoneJS

I have experience with JavascriptMVC. I have been doing substantial projects in Javascript for years (PHP before and alongside that). A new project caused me to evaluate frameworks and choose DoneJS. Since I already ran into an issue, I thought it a good idea to make a place to talk about the issues I have getting this project underway.

I just typed

donejs add app sr-careplanner

and got an error. Actually, I got two different errors on two different tries. I also got one successful run.

The difference is that the two failures are in a directory on an NTFS volume mounted on my OS X system and the one that works is on my internal disk. In both failing cases, the error is:

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory …

Although the files named are different in both cases, they are both inside sr-careplanner/node_modules.

For now, I copied the successful result. I suspect this will turn out to be a problem.

Any thoughts?

What are the errors?

I didn’t capture the details of the two examples before so I ran it again, three times. To wit…

npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, realpath ‘/Volumes/qubuntuFileServer … /node_modules/detect-newline-e2818808/node_modules/minimist’

try again…

npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, realpath ‘/Volumes/qubuntuFileServer/ … /node_modules/readline2-168c97da/node_modules/mute-stream’

and again…

npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, realpath ‘/Volumes/qubuntuFileServer/ … /node_modules/decompress-tar-c2ba4157/node_modules/clone’

As I said, it varies.

Hm, I’m not familiar with those errors, have you tried doing npm cache clean before installing?

I feel confident that if you were familiar with that problem, you’d have fixed it.

Anyway, ‘npm cache clean’ did good things. Not perfect, though.

After I ‘cleaned’ it ran correctly. I wondered if the cache got dirty again so I deleted and ran ‘add’ again. It failed as it did previously. I decided to try it again and it worked the second time but failed on the third.

I tried various patterns and came to no conclusion except this: It never failed immediately after ‘npm cache clean’. Otherwise, it sometime ran correctly once or twice and then failed. Other times it failed from the second run forward. Clearly the nastiest sort of intermittent problem (and remember, this morning, with no cache clean, it worked fine on my local drive but not on the NTFS mount).

So, anyone who googled their way to this entry, try ‘npm cache clean’.

I have been working with an app I created on my local drive and copied into dev space on NTFS. Matthew, am I correct in guessing that this should be no problem, ie, that all the stuff the app needed was contained in the created project?

Thanks for looking at this.