Import dojo modules with stealjs or export canjs components to amd?

Looking for some advice integrating dojo and canjs with steal.

Option 1: import dojo modules with steal

I’m looking into converting a dojo app to use StealJS as the builder and loader to take advantage of the bundling capabilities of Steal. It seems that the plugin syntax for Dojo and Steal are different though, dojo uses plugin/path!file/to/load/path.

SystemJS includes a System.pluginFirst property, but it doesn’t seem like stealjs lets you use this, of course I might just be doing something wrong. Is it possible to use pluginFirst syntax, and also is it possible just to use the pluginFirst syntax on specific files or packages (not across an entire steal project)?

Option 2: Export canjs components to AMD format.

Here I am also encountering problems. I have a basic export script that seems to run fine, but it exports an incorrect directory structure.

This is what I hope to get:

components/
        component1/
                component1.js
                template.stache.js

This is what I’m getting:

components/
        component1/
                component1.js
component1/
        template.stache.js

Why am I getting the top level folder component1?

Using Option 2 appears like the easiest solution at this point. I’ve been able to workaround the wierd folder structure problem by merging the top level folders (component1, component2) into the components/component1, components/component2… etc.

But the question still remains why does steal export create this duplicate folder structure?