StealJS 1.0 Release Candidate 2

Thanks to @pYr0x, @m-mujica and everyone else who has contributed to Steal in preparation for the 1.0 release.

Today I’m glad to announce our second, and hopefully final, release candidate 2. You can install with:

npm install steal@rc steal-tools@rc --save-dev

If You already have steal/steal-tools installed you can just change your package.jsons:

"devDependencies": {
  "steal": "^1.0.0-rc2",
  "steal-tools": "^1.0.0-rc2"

}

It is likely that you’ll also want steal-less and steal-css which have been broken off into their own packages. That’s right! CSS and Less are no longer included with Steal, however by breaking them off we’ll be able to update them much quicker than we have in the past.

You can install their RC versions the same way:

npm install steal-css@rc steal-less@rc --save-dev

Breaking changes

The only breaking change is that steal-less and steal-css are no longer included with Steal. To use them you need to install them and then add the new plugins configuration to your package like so:

"system": {
  "plugins": [
    "steal-css",
    "steal-less"
  ]
}

This configuration will allow steal to preprocess the packages before you start using them and everything will otherwise work as normal.

1.0 Release

We are now very close to a 1.0 release. There are no more issues remaining, just a tiny bit more of testing. I have 2 teams that have volunteered to upgrade but would love to see more from the community. I’ll wait another week or so before releasing, so you have some time. Checkout the migration guide which will walk you through the process.

Just post messages here and/or gitter and let me know. I’m excited!

3 Likes

Nice work !

@m-mujica
Is it possible to add steal-conditional to the steal 1.0 ecosystem before release steal 1.0?
It would be nice to have that big feature for i18n.

@matthewp are there any additional steps to configure the less, css, and stache plugins? I have in my package.json the following

"devDependencies": {
    "babel-eslint": "^7.1.1",
    "eslint": "^3.10.0",
    "steal-tools": "^1.0.0-rc2",
    "steal-css": "^0.5.1",
    "steal-less": "^0.3.6",
    "steal-stache": "^3.0.3"
  },
  "steal": {
    "plugins": ["steal-less", "steal-css", "steal-stache"],

It seems that the following lines will throw errors when building/exporting a module in steal-tools:

import './styles.css'; //throws no such file or directory './styles.css/index.js'

import './styles.css!'; //throws no such file or directory 'app-root/css.js'

import './styles.css!steal-css'; //works. Do all css import need '!steal-css' at the end of them?

Similar errors occur for less and stache files. Is the new syntax for importing filename.css!steal-css, filename.stache!steal-stache, etc?

Edit:

Simple mistake…I was missing the @rc on the plugins. npm install steal-less@rc steal-css@rc --save-dev

1 Like

You need to install the rc versions of steal-css / steal-less.

Oh, see that you figured it out. Good to hear :slight_smile:

1 Like